Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Be Afraid....Be Very Afraid!

Ok, so I have been looking forward to the release of "Mockingjay", the finale in the Hunger Games trilogy, for like, FOREVER, and yesterday, it came. Being the nice mom that you all know I am, I let Hannah read it first, since she was home sick from school and had nothing to do. At 10:45 p.m. she throws the book down in disgust and tells me, "Well, that sucked!" What?! Oh no! This cannot be! Yeah, she said that it's stressful, depressing, (halfway through she wondered aloud if there were going to be any happy parts at all), and she is really disappointed. She has actually sworn off books for a little while, which, if you know Hannah at all, is the most shocking part of the whole business. She reads more in a month than most teenagers read in 3 years. So here I sit with a clean house, quiet, happy children, and I am messing around on the computer rather than starting the book, because I am so very afraid of the let down. Bummer, huh?

Ok so I read it today. Hannah and I went running tonight and argued for at least 3/4 of a mile about our different perceptions of the book. I see what happened in it as natural, inevitable. She sees it as ludicrous and depressing. I told her to read it again in 5 years and see if she still thinks that. Anyhow, I liked it. I guess there are ways it could have gone that I would have liked better, but like I said, it followed the almost inevitable path to its natural conclusion. Definitely worth reading. Sad, thought provoking, disturbing, yes, but worth it.

1 comment:

  1. Oh no! This is not good at all. They are dark books in general, so hmmm...I got mine today but I think I am going to read the others first again. But I think you would be disapointed if you DIDNT read it, so read it then tell me what you think...

    ReplyDelete